7.8.10

::Ode to the jewel toned girls::

"I SWEAR, IF I GOT A DOLLAR FOR EVERY TIME SOMEONE COMPLIMENTED MY HAIR OR ASKED ME HOW TO DYE IT, I WOULD BE RICH BY NOW."
-Me, shopping at Whole Foods, after hearing "I love you hair!" for the 5th time that day.

I am happy with my vodka peach orange mango concoction
with my colorist gloves as I prepare for routine hair maintenance.


I have a lot of respect for all those ladies out there with jewel-toned hair. [not saying I respect myself, but sometimes I amaze myself with how much effort I put into my hair... its allllll out of love, baby.]

Essential tricks of trade;
a) Foil. It's foil.
b) Developer. I use 30 for good measure.
c) Bleach packet. I use L'Oreal.
d) Bowl. I think I jacked it from my roommate.
e) Brush.
f) Petroleum Jelly. Fancy word for Vaseline.
Also, cheaper than Vaseline at CVS.

Instantly a lonely drunk when doing hair.
This drink was delicious.

And here I am at 3:10AM on a beautiful Saturday morning, waiting for my bleached and washed hair to dry up, so I can apply my hair dye and go to sleep.

My hair-dye soulmates.(Maybe not quite so for Manic Panic, however)
I do not know how I could possibly maintain vibrant jewel tones that actually last more than 1 wash except for Special Effects. Excuse it's horrible taste in type face, and not very impressive packaging design that gives an impression that this product is for GAWTH KIDS at Hot Topic who want "super non-conformist" hair colors, BUT THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING.
If I ever become a good designer, the first packaging I will plead to redesign is that of Special Effects. I will gladly do it in exchange of some bottles of their products.


And here I am, 4:24 AM, head wrapped in foil and 2 layers of shower caps, waiting for the color to sink in well. Thorough the years of maintaining not-so-conforming hair colors, I found out one of the essential tricks of making color last longer is to leave the dye in as long as you can. And since the demi-permanent dyes I've recruited are vegetable-based, or safe to leave in your hair for long hours, I usually leave it in over night. (Unless I dye in the morning, stay home all day, and wash at night)

Close-up of my head, that looks like a space-station if anything.


It's not an easy job, and it takes more than enough time than I would wish, but in the end, its absolutely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment